Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Pay it Forward

I have many blessings in my life.  This time of year is a great time to think about that, and reflect on a past year.  We have top 10 lists from 2014 circulating the internet and talk show circuit.  We also get time off from school as teachers and students, so that provides the opportunity to really ponder our blessings and struggles.

One of the blessings that I have seen this year is the further mission of Pay Away The Layaway's mission to help kids whose families are struggling to have a great holiday.  The founder, Lee Karchawer, even has called himself the "Jewish Santa" from time to time!  The organization vets layaway accounts at stores like Walmart, Kmart, ToysRUs, and others to find people who have been struggling to pay down their layaway and have children's items.  Mr. Goshen High School, Tom Giordano chose this organization to be a part of his charitable donations and had a major impact in NY's Hudson Valley.  

I was thrilled that I was able to be a back-up dancer in Tom's performance for Mr. GHS pageant with colleagues so that we could help him bring home money to be raised for Pay Away The Layaway.  I mean, we danced to the song "Happy" by Pharrell and our goal was to make kids around the country Happy! As Minions! 




I drove 700 miles from NY to northern Indiana to visit my wife's family for Christmas.  That was quite a trip with 2 kids and the dog in the car for 12 hours!  She asked me what I wanted to do while I was out here, and if you've ever traveled to visit family and stay at their home, sometimes there is not much you want to do.  I told her all I want to do is excercise daily, and participate in Pay Away the Layaway.  


Lee from Pay Away the Layaway connected with KMART in Mishawaka, IN and I was able to go on Monday 12/22/14 to help pay about $2,500 of layaway bills for needy folks!  Steve, seen with me in the picture above is a special store manager who really catches the vision of helping people and doing things to advocate for the needy even in his commercial store.  It was a special time and many tears flowed of sharing great times with these people.  Many were truly in need and felt a special blessing of Christmas time!  It was very special, and I am thrilled to be able to pay this blessing forward.  Here is a clip from the news station that covered our story.  


Fox 28: South Bend, IN Pay Away the Layaway



The article is great as well: Read about it here.

Pay Away the Layaway takes donations from regular people like you and me in order to help make the lives of some needy children have a special holiday.  Please consider remembering them in your yearly donations.  They truly make a difference in peoples' lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment